The host I want will have to be a WordPress friendly host, that is probably the most important bit to start with. I have a short list of other things I would like from my host, I think I’d be lucky to find one that does everything I want but I don’t think I’m asking too much really.
- Space: I am assuming I don’t need to much as I will not need to put anything fancy in, just a portfolio, contact details and a bit about me. I really think 5GB will be plenty, I could even find something around 3GB and that would keep me happy – I just don’t know if they
givesell you that little at a time, if I eventually need more will I be able to upgrade.
- Bandwidth: I am guessing again here but I guess I will need a very small amount 10 – 20 GB will do – but here I will settle for near enough is good enough, I will be the only one adding to it, and I will only be updating it a few times a year, but then what if things change – I will want to be able to upgrade. Yep that’s me… always prepared!
- Cost: I don’t want to pay too much and I am particularly poor at the moment, so if I could pay by the month for one or two months then change to yearly it would be great. I expect to pay around $10 per month, or around $100 for a full year.
- Apparently WordPress needs PHP version 5 or greater as well as MySQL version 5 or greater (learnt something – that is the database system that WordPress uses to store my data on) these are upgrading all the time but I’m pretty sure that is the latest version at the moment.
- I would like a one click installation as the whole manual install thing sounds a bit much when there are quick & easy options. All the more to go wrong if you ask me.
- I would also like to make my permalinks easy to remember and understand so if I can find someone that gives me access to the .htaccess file it would make me happy. Somebody told me that ‘Apache’ has a mod-rewrite module which makes adjusting the permalinks simple.
- I also expect to have FTP available as a part of the package, which I’m pretty sure everybody offers anyway… don’t they.
From that list and a whole lot of Googling I have a short list, which I wont publish here just in-case I get into some sort of trouble from someone. But they meet some of the things I wanted and 3 of them are Australian, which made me happy. I still have a bit more research before I find out half the things in my list, I may even have to contact them – which I hate doing but the information just doesn’t seem to be there.
If you have any suggestions, recommendations or helpful (or humorous) comments it will be fantastic to see them.